Arugula Salad with Lemon, Balsamic Vinegar, Parmesan, and Pine Nuts
2 T fresh-squeezed lemon juice
1 T balsamic vinegar
3 T extra-virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic
Sea salt or Himalayan and fresh ground black pepper to taste
3 T grated best-quality Parmesan cheese (such as Parmigiano
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts, slivered almonds or walnuts
Very thinly cut red onion (optional)
- Mix together the lemon juice and balsamic vinegar; then whisk in 3 T of extra virgin olive oil, one tablespoon at a time, to taste.
- Smash garlic with salt to make a paste add to mix. Season the dressing with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Grate the parmesan cheese, using medium or large side of the grater.
- Put nuts into a dry pan and toast over high heat until they are just starting to change color and become fragrant, watching very carefully so they don’t burn.
- Put arugula in a large bowl and toss with just enough dressing to coat all the leaves.
- Add the coarsely grated Parmesan and toss a few times to combine, then add about 3/4 of the toasted nuts and toss again.
- Put salad into individual serving dishes and top each one with a few more toasted nuts and sliced strawberries, halved grapes and a few slices of red onion.