2 firm eggplants
Himalayan or Sea salt
Flour (gluten free is best)
Marinara sauce (recipe below)
1. Peel and slice eggplant into 1/4 inch slices. I usually don’t cut the eggplant longways but I guess I was in a hurry when I cut this and went longways to rush it up.
Then place on top of paper towel on plate, sprinkle with salt and then place another paper towel on top, layer eggplant sprinkled with salt and topped with paper towel until both eggplants are cut. Place another plate on top with a heavy object on top.
2. Scramble an egg with a tbsp of water in one bowl and place flour in another bowl.
4. Transfer eggplant to paper towels to drain.
5. In large casserole dish or baking dish, layer marinara sauce, eggplant, sprinkle with parmesan and a light sprinkle of shredded mozzarella cheese.
6. Continue to layer until all eggplant is in casserole, top with sauce, and both cheeses. Cover casserole dish.
7. Bake in oven at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes or until all cheese is melted and casserole is bubbly. Take cover off for last few minutes if you desire a golden top.
We eat this on toasted rolls with salad. It’s even better the next day cold on sandwiches.
Super Simple Marinara Sauce
Sauté 3-4 cloves garlic in extra virgin olive oil about 2 tbsp
Add dried parsley, dash of sea salt, dash red hot pepper flakes if you like
Add organic crushed tomatoes or diced if you want it chunky
Let bubble a minute then turn to low.